Is it bread or is it cake?
Here is a link to a cake recipe that is not only great tasting but it not too bad for your arteries.
We have made it several times now with multiple variations and it turns out great every time.
Our tips –
- Substitute all of the flour with whole wheat. Makes for a nuttier bread.
- Let cool completely before slicing. It will allow you to cut very thin slices. Will easily make 20-30 servings.
- We replaced honey with a European style marmalade and it worked well. Honey is definitely better.
- Indian names: Nutmeg (Jaiphal, can be substituted with Javithri or cinnamon); Anise seeds (Saunf, preferably Lucknow or small variety);
- Can substitute ground dry ginger with freshly grated ginger (double the amount) or a mixture
- If orange is not in season, use 1 tsp of orange marmalade (not jam).
Low in sweetness, this is great with chai. But you can serve it up as dessert by topping with sliced bananas and a dollop of cream/ice-cream (flavors like vanilla, butterscotch). Drizzle with thinned orange marmalade.