Meal replacement cookies
Maybe I should have done a calorie analysis beforehand, the name itself should have provided that hint. We made smaller cookies than Heidi recommended and got 34 cookies from her recipe. Each one is about 100 calories; Heidi’s would be 200 per cookie. Now I know why she calls them marathon cookies. The original recipe can be found here.
This has an interesting array of cookie ingredients – white kidney beans, dates, sesame seeds, and aniseed.
The kidney bean puree with vanilla had tasted great with a subtle flavor of beans in the background, but the bean-ness became more pronounced upon baking. In Bay Area, one is used to bean paste based Asian desserts, so the taste of beans is easily recognizable. This itself is not unpleasant. The cookies look great. They are moist and chewy. The sweetness is mild. Aniseed is pleasant in the background. Unfortunately, the dates are hard to find. We made 34 cookies from the dough and ended up using 2/3 cup sesame seeds. Nearly double the cookies and double the sesame seeds. The taste and texture of sesame was highly pronounced for us. If there is a next time, we will use less sesame seeds.
We made minor modifications to the original recipe – we had replaced rolled oats with a combination of rolled wheat and rolled oats and we had used twice the sesame seeds. Here is a complete caloric breakdown for our version:
- 34 g dates (120 cal / 41 g carb / 3 g fiber / 29 g sugar / 1 g protein)
- 145 g whole wheat flour (531 cal / 111 carb / 14.5 protein / 19 g fiber)
- 120 g rolled wheat (420 cal / 84 g carb / 15 g fiber / 18 g protein)
- 56 g rolled oats (221 cal / 37 carb / 6 g fiber / 1 g sugar / 8 g protein / 4 g fat)
- 2/3 cup sesame (550 cal / 47.6 g fat / 7 g sat fat / 21 g poly / 18 g mono / 22 g carb / 12 g fiber / 17 g protein)
- 1/4 cup olive oil (477 cal / 54 g fat / 7.5 g sat / 5.5 g poly / 39.4 g mono)
- 1 cup sugar (774 cal / 200 g sugar)
- 1 can of white kidney beans (420 cal / 73.5 g carb / 35 g fiber / 3.5 g sugar / 28 g protein)
- 1 large egg (72 cal / 5 g fat / 1.5 g sat fat / 0.7 g poly / 1.9 g mono / 6.3 g protein)
Total for 34 cookies: 3585 cal / 548 g carb / 90g fiber / 233.5 g sugar / 92.8 g protein / 110.6 g fat / 16.5 g sat fat / 27.2 poly / 59.3 g mono