Banana Walnut Madeleine
This was inspired by banana pecan cake with maple glaze recipe from Clotilde.
Banana Walnut Madeleine (24 servings):
- 40g walnuts, toasted and finely chopped
- 140g whole wheat pastry flour (~1 cup unsifted)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 30g unsalted butter, softened (~2 Tbsp)
- 40g whole almond or walnut butter (fresh butter available from Whole Foods, ~ 2 scant Tbsp).
- 50g brown sugar (~1/4 cup)
- 20g maple syrup or honey (~1 Tbsp)
- splash of vanilla extract
- 2 small eggs
- 2 extra ripe bananas, about 300g weighed with skin – peel, mash with fork
Preheat the oven to 350°F and butter Madeleine pans (this recipe makes 24 medium size Madeleines).
Combine the walnuts, flour, salt and baking powder. Set aside.
In the bowl beat the butter and almond/walnut butter until creamy. Add the sugar, syrup, vanilla and beat until fluffy. Add the eggs one by one and beat. Fold the banana mash into the batter. Add the dry ingredients to the batter and fold gently until well mixed.
Scoop 1 Tbsp batter into space for each Madeleine and bake for 12 minutes, until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Results in moist and soft delightfully walnutty banana bread. Lighter in texture and softer than David Lebovitz’s chocolate banana bread.