Desi style french toast
I grew up eating desi style french toast. If we can improvise to create McAloo Tikki Burger, desi style french toast shouldn’t come as surprise. It is a savory version of the french toast with a touch of desi flavors.
Ingredients (serves 2):
- 6-7 pieces of sliced baguette (3-4 cm across, 1/2 cm thick). Alternately use country style wheat bread.
- 2 eggs (cage free, organic etc.)
- Splash of lactose free 2% milk
- 1 thai green chilli thinly sliced
- 1 small shallot finely chopped
- 2 tsp of coriander minced
- 1/2 tsp of salt (or to taste)
- 1/2 tsp sugar (optional)
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
Shallots can be replaced with onion. If onion is sharp, soak chopped onion in cold water for a couple of minutes before adding to eggs. Thai green chili can be replaced by de-seeded jalapeno if necessary. Addition of sugar makes this dish slightly sweet and mostly savory.
Beat the eggs, mix in milk, shallot, chilli pepper, coriander, salt and pepper. Soak 2-3 slices for about 2 minutes. Fry in 2 tsp of neutral oil such as canola and serve with ketchup or chutney.
All the goodness of french toast stays the same – creamy centers if using white bread or the chewiness if using country style wheat bread. The savory aspect of this is healthier. The ketchup adds to the umaminess. Every once in a while you will bite into a sliver of hot green chilli that will light a part of your mouth on fire – very invigorating in the morning. For a perfect breakfast, enjoy with a cup of hot chai.