Open faced toasted sardine sandwich aka sardine tartine
This sandwich is an inspiration from our trip to Paris. Our neighborhood boasted of a wonderful restaurant that served various tartines for lunch. Buttered and toasted open faced Poilâne bread with sardine paste hasn’t been forgotten yet.
Ingredients for the salad:
- Roasted beet drizzled with mustard vinaigrette
- Gherkin pickles
Ingredients for the sandwich:
- Arugula pesto (much like basil pesto but made with arugula leaves)
- Fire roasted red (piquillo) peppers
- A can of the best oil preserved sardines that you can lay your hands on
- A slice or two of the best quality artisan bread you can lay your hands on – I am using a whole grain Acme bread
Apply pesto to the bread, arrange the roasted pepper and sardines as shown. Broil for a few minutes. Serve with a side of salad.